Monday, January 16, 2006

my growing brother collection

so, i have 4 brothers, in case you didnt know.
they are all taller than each other.

this is a little bit about my brothers.

Stewy is my big brother, he's actually the tallest.
He takes after our gentle grandfather.
then there is Glenn, he is 2 years younger than me and much much bigger than me.
then there is Jum, he's 4 years younger than me and lives in Edinburgh
then, (NEWS FLASH!) Bruce Charles,
- the extreme youngest,
is leaving the shores of sunny africa next month to come to the island of England.
Yay. He is 18.

there were 2 songs that kind of especially stand out, from when we were kids.

the earlier one, this one, is about brothers,
but, my sister and me were honourary brothers so we were allowed to like it too.

There is something sort of strangely, or peacefully unifying about shared sibling memories like songs. its like a shelter you can carry around and take out when you feel like it. and you can give it to other people to use too, which is kind ov cool.

so this is the song:

TWO LITTLE BOYS
Lyrics by Edward Madden
Music by Theodore F. Morse

Two little boys
Had two little toys,
Each had a wooden horse;
Gaily they played Each summer's day
- Warriors both of course.
One little chap
Then had a mishap,
Broke off his horse's head;
Cried for his toy,
Then cried for joy
As his young playmate said:

"Did you think I would leave you crying
When there's room on my horse for two?
Climb up here, Jack.
we'll soon be flying;
I can go just as fast with two.
When we grow up we'll both be soldiers,
And our horses will not be toys;
And I wonder if we'll remember
When we were two little boys."

Long years passed,
War came so fast;
Bravely they marched away.
Cannons roared loud
And in the mad crowd
Wounded and dying lay.
Up went a shout -
A horse dashes out,
Out from the ranks so blue,
Galloped away
To where Joe lay
And then came a voice he knew:

"Did you think I would leave you dying
When there's room on my horse for two?
Climb up here, Joe,
we'll soon be flying
Back to the ranks so blue.
Do you know, Joe,
I'm all a-tremble,
Perhaps it's the battle's noise;
But I think it's that I remember
When we were two little boys."


Then the other song, was a bit later, by Madness.
This song turned out to be strangely sort of prescient, if thats the right word.. have only included some verses, cos the rest is repetitious

OUR HOUSE

Father wears his Sunday best
Mother's tired she needs a rest
The kids are playing up downstairs
Sister's sighing in her sleep
Brother's got a date to keep
He can't hang around

Our house, in the middle of our street
Our house, in the middle of our ...

Something tells you that you've got to get away from it
Father gets up late for work
Mother has to iron his shirt
Then she sends the kids to school
Sees them off with a small kiss
She's the one they're going to miss
In lots of ways

Our house, in the middle of our street...

I remember way back then when everything was true and when
We would have such a very good time such a fine time
Such a happy time
And I remember how we'd play simply waste the day away
Then we'd say nothing would come between us two dreamers

Our house, in the middle of our street....

Our house, was our castle and our keep
Our house, in the middle of our street
Our house, that was where we used to sleep
Our house, in the middle of our street

the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment